SDX Energy has found more gas reserves in the South Disouq Concession in Egypt’s Nile Delta following a gas discovery made at the SD-3X appraisal well.
The gas discovery at the SD-3X well was made after drilling it to a total depth of 7,842ft. It follows the gas discovery made at the South Disouq Concession last month through the drilling of the SD-4X well.
SDX Energy said that the SD-3X well intersected 32.6ft of net conventional natural gas pay in the Abu Madi and Kafr el Sheik horizons. The average porosity in the pay sections has been reported by the company to be 21.7%.
SDX Energy revealed that the SD-3X well will now be completed as a producer well in the Abu Madi horizon before it is tested after the drilling rig has moved off site.
The North Africa-focused oil and gas company said that the Abu Madi horizon will be completed and produced initially before re-entering the well to complete and produce the Kafr el Sheik horizon. This will be done with an aim to streamline the potential recovery from the SD-3X well.
The Abu Madi testing is expected to begin 30-45 days after the rig departure, subject to availability of testing equipment.
SDX Energy said that if the testing is successful, then the SD-3X well will be linked to the infrastructure located near the original SD-1X discovery. Production start-up at the SD-1X discovery is scheduled to take place in the four quarter of 2018.
SDX president and CEO Paul Welch said: “The discovery of gas in both the Abu Madi and Kafr el Sheik horizons is a very positive outcome for the SD-3X well. As demonstrated by the Ibn Yunus discovery earlier this year, the Kafr el Sheik horizon is an excellent quality productive sequence.
“The SD-3X discovery has confirmed that this horizon is extensively present throughout the concession.”
SDX Energy with a stake of 55% is the operator of the South Disouq Concession where it is partnered by IPR, which holds the remaining stake of 45%.